Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Vanderbilt homes and mansions


I've been a fan of the Vanderbilt family (and their homes) since 1982.

My parents took my younger sister and I to the World's Fair in Knoxville, TN that year. We stayed in Asheville, NC. While there, we were able to visit the Biltmore Estate, home of George Washington Vanderbilt, grandson of the Commodore.

It wasn't until 2002 that I was able to make it back, but since then I've been collecting postcards and books, magazine articles and photographs of all of their homes.

Don't ask me what the attraction is. I know I like the time period the Commodore's children lived. I love the architecture of their homes and I really, really hate that a lot of their places are no longer with us.

I hope to pass on my collection of notes, images and thoughts on the family and on society in general.

The photograph above was taken by me in 2003. I don't know how I was so lucky to get the fountain calm and unmoving, but I'm glad it was. I've not been able to repeat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment